Discover the best tropical plants for your office and how to create a serene paradise in your workspace. Learn about the groundbreaking study showing how office plants can remove cancer-causing toxins from indoor air.
In today’s fast-paced and stressful work environments, creating a serene and inviting office space can significantly improve productivity and overall well-being. One effective way to achieve this is by incorporating tropical plants into your office decor. Not only do these plants add a touch of natural beauty, but they also purify the air and create a calming atmosphere. In this article, we will explore the best plants for your office, and essential tips for maintaining a serene tropical paradise in your workspace.
The Benefits of Office Plants
Before delving into the best tropical plants for your office, let’s explore the benefits they bring to the workplace. Indoor plants have been proven to enhance the office environment in numerous ways:
- Air Purification: One of the most remarkable benefits of office plants is their ability to purify the air. A groundbreaking study conducted by researchers at the University Of Technology Sydney (UTS) revealed that certain plants can efficiently remove toxic petrol fumes, including cancer-causing compounds such as benzene, from indoor air1. This discovery highlights the potential of office plants to contribute significantly to a healthier work environment by reducing the presence of harmful toxins.
- Stress Reduction and Well-being: Apart from their air-purifying properties, office plants have been proven to reduce stress and improve overall well-being. The presence of greenery and natural elements in the workspace can evoke feelings of tranquility and connection to nature, which can help combat workplace stress and increase employee satisfaction. Enhanced Productivity: Studies have shown that incorporating plants in the office can increase productivity, reduce stress, and improve concentration and creativity.
- Aesthetics and Ambiance: Tropical plants add a splash of vibrant colors and a touch of nature to an otherwise mundane office setting, creating a more appealing and welcoming ambiance for both employees and visitors.
The Best Tropical Plants for Your Office
Now that we understand the benefits of office plants, let’s explore some of the best low maintenance office plants suitable for creating a serene paradise in your workspace:
- Snake Plant (Sansevieria trifasciata): This low-maintenance plant is an ideal choice for offices with little natural light. Snake plants are known for their air-purifying abilities and are resilient to neglect, making them perfect for busy office settings.
- ZZ Plant (Zamioculcas zamiifolia): The ZZ plant is another low-maintenance option that can thrive in low-light conditions. Its glossy, dark green leaves add a touch of elegance to any office space.
- Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum): With its beautiful white blooms and air-purifying properties, the Peace Lily is a popular choice for both home and office environments. It prefers low to medium light and can add a sense of tranquility to your workspace.
- Areca Palm (Dypsis lutescens): The Areca Palm is a fantastic addition to any office seeking a tropical vibe. Its feathery fronds create a lush and calming atmosphere, making it perfect for larger spaces and hotel lobbies.
- Rubber Plant (Ficus elastica): The Rubber Plant is a versatile option, thriving in various light conditions. Its large, glossy leaves make it a visually striking choice for any office setting. Pothos (Epipremnum aureum): Pothos is an easy-to-care-for trailing plant that can add a touch of greenery to office shelves and desks. It is known for its ability to purify the air and can thrive in low light.
- Dracaena (Dracaena spp.): Dracaenas come in various shapes and sizes, making them suitable for different office spaces. They are excellent air purifiers and can create a tropical oasis when grouped together.
Maintaining a Tropical Office Paradise
The most effective way to maintain thriving office plants is to avoid future issues and choose the right plants for your space. If in any doubt you can speak to us about your office and maintenance. Alternatively why not choose one of the low-maintenance office plants mentioned in this article.
Here are four essential tips to remember.
- Light and temperature: These elements are essential factors for every plant and each plant requires different levels. Understanding the light and temperature variations in your office is the first step to choosing the best suited plants.
- Watering: Avoid overwatering your office plants, as it can lead to root rot. Allow the top inch of soil to dry out before watering and adjust the frequency based on the plant’s needs and the office environment.
- Pruning and Grooming: Regularly prune dead or yellowing leaves to maintain the plant’s health and appearance. Dusting the leaves will not only keep your plants looking neat and tidy but will allow the plants to absorb light more efficiently.
- Fertilisation & Pesticide: Use a balanced liquid fertiliser to nourish your office plants during their active growing season, typically spring and summer. Pests are common in all settings and should be treated before the problem escalates with an organic pesticide.
Incorporating plants into your office space can transform it into a serene paradise, boosting productivity and creating a relaxing atmosphere for employees and visitors alike. Choose from the best indoor plants suited to your office’s lighting conditions. By providing proper care and maintenance, you can enjoy a lush and green workspace that enhances well-being and promotes a positive work environment.
- Source: University Of Technology Sydney (UTS) – Date: 25 MAY 2023 – A groundbreaking study has revealed that plants can efficiently remove toxic petrol fumes, including cancer-causing compounds such as benzene, from indoor air. ↩